If you lose your wallet or purse
If your wallet/purse is lost or stolen, here's a conglomeration of advice summarized from the Communicating Arts Credit Union and other sources
- Cancel your credit cards immediately. You should keep a list of your cards and thei 800 contact numbers somewhere safe.
- File a police report in the jurisdiction where the theft, if any, occurred. If nothing else, this proves to credit card issuers that you did your part to protect them.
- Call all three national credit reporting agencies. Place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number.
- Equifax 800-525-6285
- Experian (was TRW) 888-397-3742
- TransUnion 800-680-7289
- Contact the Social Security Administration Fraud Line at 800-269-0271
To check your credit rating, contact the major credit agencies. Some states require them to provide free credit reports under some circumstances.
P.O. Box 105851
Atlanta, GA 30348
P.O. Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022